In 2000, we installed Kwikset harware throughout our new home.Twelve years later, the finish on all hardware on all exterior doors that had direct exposure to the sun has undergone extreme photo degradation.
The finish changed color, going from satin nickle to some shade of dull bronze. The change is not limited to the clear coat. Apparently, the finish is applied as a powder coat, not plated. Per instruction of a Kwikset representative I sent photos of all exterior door sets.
When asked if the finish was defective the representative replied via email "The finish is not defective. In 12 years time it is not uncommon for the finish to deteriorate as badly as yours has, the elements weigh heavy on the finish." Kwikset's final determination was that at the time of purchase, the finish was only warranted for 10 years and they would do nothing.
I do know that Kwikset hardware now carries a "Lifetime" warranty on the finish to the original purchaser, but I do not know if they have improved the finish.
It could simply be that Kwikset is relying on the original purchaser to have moved before the finish fails.I will replace my hardware, but it will not be with a Kwikset product.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Sherridan Lockset
- Review category
- Home Security
You May Also Like
- "I bought Kwikset locks for my entire house in 2001 (12 years ago). They're all gone bad. Most of the time, it's the finish. The front door..."
- "I am having a BIG issue with Vivint and at this point will NOT recommend anyone use them, I had it install on Aug 9th and I said yes to..."
- "TERRIBLE!! I sold my home and didn't buy another one. I cannot get them to disconnect the service at my old address. I don't have a house to transfer service..."
- "I purchased Martha Stewart Living kitchen cabinets with Home Depot in Atascadero, CA in May 2014. The upper cabinets were white high gloss laminate called "Picket Fence". The original..."
- "I posted a blog post on ISIS-Comesuticals' blog asking about one of their 4 fl oz products that have suddenly been pulled off the market, and I was surprised to..."
- "My wife and I recently paid $5,000 in cash to Marlena Martin and she promised my wife a title. However someone else was crowned. My wife and I tried to..."
- "I purchased an engine for a little over $2k for son's 2005 my Jeep. Was told by Tom and their website that engine came with a warranty. 17,000 miles (..."
- "We took our 2016 Jayco Travel Trailer to Camping World Albuquerque. Our furnace quit on us (Cold). They fixed the furnace stating that it was from the MFG not crimping..."
- "These outfitters should be shut down due to unsafe practices and placing the public at risk. There place of business is in shambles, failing practically every code, they don't require..."