In 2000, we installed Kwikset harware throughout our new home.Twelve years later, the finish on all hardware on all exterior doors that had direct exposure to the sun has undergone extreme photo degradation.
The finish changed color, going from satin nickle to some shade of dull bronze. The change is not limited to the clear coat. Apparently, the finish is applied as a powder coat, not plated. Per instruction of a Kwikset representative I sent photos of all exterior door sets.
When asked if the finish was defective the representative replied via email "The finish is not defective. In 12 years time it is not uncommon for the finish to deteriorate as badly as yours has, the elements weigh heavy on the finish." Kwikset's final determination was that at the time of purchase, the finish was only warranted for 10 years and they would do nothing.
I do know that Kwikset hardware now carries a "Lifetime" warranty on the finish to the original purchaser, but I do not know if they have improved the finish.
It could simply be that Kwikset is relying on the original purchaser to have moved before the finish fails.I will replace my hardware, but it will not be with a Kwikset product.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Sherridan Lockset
- Review category
- Home Security
You May Also Like
- "I hate door to door salesmen as much as the next guy. And when this Devcon guy came knocking on the door i showed it. i don't appreciate someone coming..."
- "Had Central Security since 2009, installed a new system with my cable company due to my current system being outdated and faulty. When I went to cancel they told..."
- "I placed an order on 11/27 (#L511047), when I received the order, the cameras wouldn't work at my door through the double pane windows, picking up only the reflection from..."
- "I went to sunoco on sheridan dr and military rd as usually do 2 minutes from my house ,to get breakfast coffe etc i had my 2 yr old with..."
- "I placed an order for a LIMITED edition T-shirt in Oct 2016 and received nothing so far (3 months passed). I tried the "Order Tracking" via the "Email us" on..."
- "I've been with ally auto financing for two years. Bought 2014 Kia Optima brand new for 300.27 a month through ally mobile app. January 11th 2017 I made my payment..."
- " They paid $10,000 are more of expenses for my automobile which if I did not have a warranty I would had paid all out of pockets, they was their..."
- "I purchased leather furnature from Living Spaces with extended warranty. They had no record of extended warranty which I have the paperwork. They claim that since I moved from original..."
- "So, I send my 2 balikbayan boxes on August 20th expecting to be in the Philippines around the first week of October. Instead LBC decided to keep my box sitting..."