Kwikset - Defective mounting mechanism

I purchased a Kwikset Smart Key lever from the Signature Series to replace a handle that the finish had worn off.Upon disassembling my old lever, I proceeded to install the new lever and found out that the mounting mechanism was "crooked"and that the screw wouldn't go into one part.

I called Kwikset and waited for 27 minutes before I could speak to anyone. They had me send a picture (which I will include) to show them what the problem was and assigned me a case number. I then went to Lowes and took the lock and asked them if they could figure out what the problem was. They agreed that it was a defective part.

I purchased a new door lever, brought it home and proceeded to install it. There was nothing in the directions, or one-line videos that explained how to *** the rosette from the face plate. The video they had showed the "obvious" things, but completely blew past the part on how to remove the rosette from the face plate. I once again called Kwikset, waited 25 minutes this time.

The person I spoke to walked me through it and I was able to install the handle. Nothing was in the paper instructions or on the internet. I have installed many doorknobs, levers over the past 30 years, but I have never come across so much difficulty and bad directions in one product. I have 26 more levers/handles to replace.

It won't be with Kwikset this time.The only good thing I can say is that their packaging is nice and the product is attractive - but no matter how pretty something is, poor quality and bad directions are a deal breaker.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Helpful? 0 Yes 0 1 No 1
Had the same issue 3 Yes 3
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Kwikset. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Kwikset.
Filing a new complaint about